So let me tell you up front, I am not a Christian Bale fan. Add to that the fact that I am biased to the Tim Burton Batman movie where Jack Nicholson played the best Joker ever. And I have not been willing to see the other 2 Dark Knight Batman movies in the theater. This was a movie I went to see because I love my hubby and he was practically drooling every time the topic came up.
This was a good movie. Surprisingly, I really like it. I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did and I think it is for a these reasons:
- Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Liam Neeson- need I say more.
- There was only one time in the script where I questioned the reasonable logic of a normal person. The rest of the script was good. It was predictable but not in a bad way. Everything was subtle enough to make it easy to just be entertained.
- While I was questioning Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, she was really good and looked hot..hot..hot with a very nice couple of bum shots on the Batcycle.
- Tom Hardy was a really good Bane with a voice cross between Liam Neeson and Sean Connery. The script for Bane was incredibly well written. It was ear candy through the whole movie.
- Seeing Matthew Modine play a wus was interesting. He played a shockingly good jerk.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Who knew this cutie could play such a great Blake/Robin. He was amazing and we almost saw more of him than Batman. Since that was Christian Bale, worked for me.
- Christian Bale only had a few scenes where you could see him or he opened his mouth. For the rest, he was covered up and disguised as Batman so I was able to block out that it was him. Helped a lot. I kept seeing Val Kilmer in my mind. Yum.
So, Yes, as much as I hate to put money in Christian Bale’s pocket and encourage people to continue to cast him in things, I have to recommend this movie for all the other factors that are not him. It was worth paying full price in the theater to see this epic film.